（1） many a +名词，作主语时,从意义上看是复数,但谓语动词常用单数。
Many a student has been sent to plant trees.
（2）more than a (an)/one +名词，作主语时,谓语动词常用单数。
More than one teacher gets the flowers.
Going out for a walk after supper is a good habit.
例：Every student and more than one teacher was in the classroom.
例：The following information was correct at time of going to press.
1. One-third of the area _____ covered with green trees. About seventy percent of the trees _____ been planted.
A. are; have B. is; has C. is; have D. are; has
2. The number of teachers in our college _____ greatly increased last term. A number of teachers in this school
_____ from the countryside.
A. was; is B. was; are C. were; are D. were; is
3. What _____ the population of China? One-third of the population _____ workers here.
A. is; are B. are; are C. is; is D. are; is
4. Not only he but also we _____ right. He as well as we _____ right.
A. are; are B. are; is C. is; is D. is; are
5. What he’d like _____ a digital watch. What he’d like _____ textbooks.
A. are; are B. is; is C. is; are D. are; is
6. He is one of the boys who _____ here on time. He is the only one of the boys who _____ here on time.
A. has come; have come B. have come; has come
C. has come; has come D. have come; have come
7. Many a professor _____ looking forward to visiting Germany now. Many scientists _____studied animals and plants in the last two years.
A. is; have B. is; has C. are; have D. is; are
8. A knife and a fork _____ on the table. A knife and fork _____ on the table.
A. is; is B. are; are C. are; is D. is; are
9. Her family _____ much larger than mine four years ago. Her family ____ dancing and singing when I came in last night.
A. were; was B. was; were C. was; was D. were; were
10. Now Tom together with his classmates _____ football on the playground.
A. play B. are playing C. plays D. is playing